So what’s it all about?
What kitesurfing is and what we do
Kitesurfing (or kiteboarding) is a relatively new sport combining parachuting, surfing and board sports. Here in the UK, we are blessed with great kitesurfing conditions – endless coastline and wind all year round.
We kite and teach along the North Wales coast from Colwyn Bay, Rhos-on-Sea, Llandudno West Shore to Morfa Conwy and Llanfairfechan. Kitesurfing is an exhilarating sport open to everyone whether you have experience of water sports or not. Attitude is more important than age or experience!
Our instructors are all IKO qualified and we follow the IKO programme so you know that once you qualify as an Independent rider you have a hobby you can take around the world. What are you waiting for? We can’t wait to get you on the water.
All our Kitesurfing sessions include:
- Site Assessment (is it safe to fly here?)
- Wind Window (where the wind is)
- Safety Systems (what if it all goes wrong and how to avoid it)
- Power Zones (where the power is)
- Land Based Trainer Kite Exercises
- LEI Kite Setup (Leading Edge Inflatable kite for kiteboarding with)
- Deep Water Self Rescue Techniques (one day everyone needs this!)
- Launching and Landing Inflatable Kites (LEI)
- Flying the kite safely, first piloting
- Rules of the water
- Water Relaunching LEI kites
- Body Dragging (Using the power of the kite to pull you through the water)
- Advanced Dragging Techniques (downwind, upwind, board retrieval)
- Putting a board on and balancing in the water
- Water start theory
- Water start
- Ride a short distance and come to a controlled stop both left and right
- Riding upwind
- Changing direction in the water
Lesson packages and rates
We offer 1-1 private sessions so that you have all the time and attention to progress quickly and develop a deeper understanding of how to kite.
Progress through the stages of learning is dependent on prior experience/skills and the wind conditions during your session. You are an individual and we want you to learn safely and at a pace that you are comfortable with whilst having some fun. Kiting is an exhilarating, fun hobby which needs to be practised safely.
Learning to kite typically involves:
Kite introduction – (1.5 hrs) typically covering stage one up to first piloting
Bodydragging – (2.5 hrs) covering all stage one including water start theory
Waterstart – (2.5 hrs) covering stage two
Speak to us if you’d like to learn with a friend or as a couple.
Children – From age 10 to 14 we teach children on a one to one basis for shorter lessons.